Thursday, December 18, 2014

Bangkok Not So Dangerous

When I visited Bangkok I had come in with expectations of an out of control city where Nick Cage goes around battling Thai gangsters in true Nick Cage fashion. Sure, I say that in jest but still Bangkok has the reputation for the definitive place to expect the unexpected.

It's not this crazy Nick


What I got was a booming metropolis. I mean, sure the nightlife is amazing, I did the whole hostel on Khao San Road. I did see a Ping Pong Show, I get why they call it Ping Pong because that is the tamest portion of the show. I'm guessing woman shoot darts out of her vagina to pop a balloon show would scare people off. We saw some amazing temples, ate amazing food and all in all Bangkok was a great experience.
morning. afternoon. night

It just lacked authenticity to me. It didn't feel like I was in Southeast Asia. I'm not saying everything has to look like 3rd world country but this place was on par with major U.S cities. Such a drastic change from what I have seen so far. Coming from a month in Cambodia where what you see is what you get Bangkok was a little safe to me. The first thing when entering Bangkok that draws your attention are the buildings. Skyscraper after skyscraper in constant competition on who can reach space the fastest. Next is the traffic. Not just traffic because I am use to traffic in big cities but the very fact of traffic lights. In Cambodia stop lights are few and far between and even when there are lights, they are optional (the option is always no). The city part still has aspects of Southeast Asia sprinkled around like; street food, markets, etc. It was just I got an overall feeling of ease that I didn't have in Cambodia.
Walking Dead?

I like exploration and adventure and I know I didn't see all of Bangkok so it is somewhat unfair for me to judge Bangkok as a whole, but it didn't feel like an adventure. It felt like a party dabbled with some culture, mixed with a big city. I think to sum it up best would be to say I felt comfortable there.

A pool as if it appears from nowhere

I will visit Bangkok again I'm sure and maybe the second time around I will be captivated in ways that many others have been, but until then Bangkok I like you, but let's just be friends.

Sunrise over Bangkok not too shabby


Bonus blog! Yes we KANchanaburi

Since my I started my travels I have seen and experienced some amazing things. The realness of poverty in Phnom Penh, the ancient Angkor Wat (no blog post, it's awesome go see it...now!), the pristine beaches of Sihanoukville, a compound leg fracture in Siem Reap (don't do backflips in the rain kids), the aforementioned Bangkok, but nothing compares to the Erawan Falls of Kanchanaburi.
Erawan so nice they put it on there twice.

I may be biased because I enjoy hiking, its the BESTEST thing ever (yes I teach English BTW). But, when you have a waterfall in hike that's a bonus! But, when you have 7 waterfalls in a hike?? Get the fuck out of here that is unheard of! And that is what you get with the Erawan Falls in the small town of Kanchanaburi located west of Bangkok.

We took a bus from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi around noon, I forget how long it was, anything is a short ride after you've done the 12 bus from Phnom Penh to Bangkok. We got a tip from a nice lady in Bangkok to stay at the Blue Star Guesthouse, so we decided to give it a chance and I am glad we did. For under $10 we got to stay in charming bungalows right in middle of the expat restaurant and bar area of the town.

Really Motel 6? I could rent 5 bungalows for that price and only half the amount of poisonous bugs.

We enjoyed the nightlife and got some rest to catch the hour and half bus ride to the national park at 9AM. Standing room only for me but no big deal it was just like a good ol' BART ride without the pee smell and the crazies.

We arrived and began the hike. We got to the first waterfall and it was breathtaking, nature at it's finest. Initially, I was soaking it in and enjoying exploring the waterfall but then realized if this is the first waterfall then they just must keep getting better. Rather than get it and wade around the water it seemed better to trek to the top or we might be here all day...that wouldn't be the worse thing actually. The hike isn't all that strenuous, but the sights are amazing. Waterfall after waterfall the next one better than the last, it was an avid hiker's dream.
Nature is cool

As we were nearing the top, around waterfall 6 we decided to get in because it was pretty empty at the time. The water was perfect given the heat and humidity that is Thailand. To have a waterfall and spring to ourselves for that instant in time is definitely one of the memory bank. A good 30 minutes enjoying Tier 6 we decided to head over to the main attraction. The 7th tier waterfall is said to resemble Erawan the 3 headed elephant of Hindu mythology. I didn't really see it from my perspective but, I also never saw the 3D picture in those old 3D posters, so I wouldn't trust my eyes.

3 headed elephant or nah?

This waterfall lived up to the billing. Amazing. The ability to be directly under such a massive waterfall as drowns down on you with such force(no picture because you kinda have to swim there) is unforgettable. There are pretty sizable fish in the water that nibble on your toes, you can pay for them to do it in the city or go to Erawan where they do it for free!

Without a doubt Erawan Falls has been the highlight of my travels. I wish I had more time in Kanchanaburi and I will try to make it back. There are also hot springs and caves to explore and I do have a thing for caves.

Kanchanaburi thanks for the memories.


1 comment:

  1. Don't go chasin Waterfalls... Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to...

    Nah, what am I saying, waterfalls are badass

    ReplyDelete